Tuesday, May 14, 2013

the brave Joan of Arc


As I mentioned yesterday, my posts will be a little different since I will be traveling for the next two weeks. Michael and I arrived today for what I’m calling a once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage of the French countryside with my wonderful in-laws, Tony and MarySue. They are introducing us to some of their favorite places in the world!

I’ve mentioned before what a slow (and thorough) processor I am when it comes life experiences. Paraphrasing one of my favorite authors, Heather King, I need three or four days of contemplation for every one day of lived experience. At least I know that I’m in good company.

All that is to say that what I'd like to do is give you a visual glimpse of what I get to see and discover every day:

in the courtyard of our hotel in Compiegne

the view from our bedroom window

entrance to St. James church -- which sits on one of the French routes to the Camino de Santiago!

I learned today that this is the church from where Joan of Arc was arrested, taken away.

holy water font in the shape of a conch shell, 
symbol of baptism and of the Camino de Santiago

memorial on side of the church naming the people from the village of Compiegne who died in WWI and WWII. you can see the different shades of gray for each war.

No comments:

Post a Comment