Tuesday, December 13, 2016

it's official: the first U.S. martyr is from Oklahoma!








Even though I knew it was coming, I was overwhelmed with joy when the public announcement came from Rome that Father Stanley Rother has been approved for beatification.

This makes the Okarche native the first martyr from the United States, as well as the first priest from the U.S. AND the first male born in the U.S. to be approved for beatification!

You’ve heard me talk about him before. 

Father Stanley Rother was an Oklahoma priest who served for 13 years as a missionary pastor for the Oklahoma mission in Santiago Atitlán, Guatemala. In 1981, he was shot and killed in the rectory of the parish mission.

As the author of the first published biography of Father Stanley, I have been busy since the announcement answering questions and interviews about the Oklahoma martyr. 

In a very real way, however, it’s not about the book—and it’s not about me. It is such a privilege for me to be the one that helps spread Father Stanley’s beautiful story! 

I firmly believe that Father Stanley’s martyrdom is a much-needed witness for our Church today, a reminder that we are all called to holiness in our ordinary lives, and that holy men and women come from ordinary places like Okarche, Oklahoma!  

Here are the links to a few of the news sources I’ve been working with, and that you may enjoy:





My favorite radio interview so far took place in the NPR studio at KOSU with renowned journalist Gerry Bonds.  Drop by the show’s website any time to listen to our discussion on writing and Father Stanley Rother -- The Living Room with Gerry Bonds.

Ps. To purchase a copy of my book, 
"The Shepherd Who Didn't Run," 

+   +   +

Perhaps you feel like me, a bit perplexed that we are already roughly half way through Advent?

I am here to remind you that we still have time!  And to help you out, I am giving away – through the generosity of Magnificat Magazine – two free codes to Magnificat’s Advent App.

Just drop me a message here, on Facebook or via Twitter letting me know that you're interested—and I will randomly pick two lucky winners!













No comments:

Post a Comment